Introductions!

Started by Dylan Wardlow, Sunday, 05-November-2023, 18:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Wardlow

Hello dear forum users! Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I think the best way to start off here is to first give a little #introduction ! This our own little tiny corner of the internet so let's not be strangers. Here's a little bit about me...

My name is Dylan and I originally hail from southern California Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
, but have ended up living in Poland with my Polish wife and daughters. How I got here and why I stayed is a long story for another time. I don't want to be self-centered so I will try my best to keep this concise while still leaving you with a feeling that we can be best buddies by the time you finish reading this.

I took the initiative to build this forum on behalf of Clan Wardlaw because I am genuinely passionate and proud of my rich and royal Scottish heritage. Truthfully, everyone should learn about their heritage - it actually fills you with a sense of belonging and informs you about the reasons for your own existence.

Usually my character would be described as rather introverted but that comes with a large dose of irony considering I made a social platform on the internet, and furthermore, I'm making all of the initial posts on it! Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Nonetheless, I hope to meet many new folks here. I try my best to remain open-minded and dish out premature judgements and the very same is excepted of others.

My background is in teaching English and computer science/artificial intelligence Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
. That's right; I'm a genuine nerd. It's a strange mix, I know, but those two fields are indeed more intertwined than one might initially presume. While pursuing my various teaching certifications I became quite consumed with how the human brain works and how it has evolved over time. It soon became my goal to pursue an academic career in AI (although I have a deep passion for all of the sciences) and I am still trekking along in that adventure. For the time being I specialize in artificial intelligence for medical diagnosis and prognosis, meaning that for example I use AI to analyze brain MRI's or CT Scans to find pathology in the body or predict the chances of survival of diseased individuals.

My wife and I also run a private language school together! This has been quite an interesting adventure all on its own!

As for any personal beliefs I retain, as a man of science I try to  maintain a realistic view of the world as much as possible while not falling into the darkness of pessimism and pacifism. As much as possible I follow the philosophies of Stoicism and naturalism. Spirituality isn't necessarily something that I take on, but I don't criticize those who do adopt such a way of life unless they too strongly project themselves and their beliefs onto me.

With two young daughters, a company, and university, I don't have much time for hobbies or the such. However, if I could, I would spend re time reading and writing poetry as well as traveling. These two activities always had a unique blend to me and I think they both gave deep insights into the nature of humanity.

Well, I must finish go now; I'm writing this in an Irish pub on a Sunday night and I've already had a few Guinness stouts. Now the owner here (a very typical redheaded crazy Irishman) is about to start some events and throw some free brews our way!

Remember: This forum is a place for everyone interested in anything and everything Scottish and Celtic. Let's keep this place warm and welcoming for any who join. I can't wait to meet you all! Cheers!

You cannot view this attachment.